Sailing Vessel Snow Goose

Home    Captain's Blog    Photos    First Mate's Blog    About Us    Snow Goose Refit

Where we are.


Where we have been.



November 30, 2010

After a rainy afternoon and an hour wait at the Jay-Jay RR Bridge we arrived at Titusville.

View of Jay Jay RR Bridge from our anchorage.

The span at the Jay Jay RR Bridge is normally open, as it is in this picture, but when we came to the bridge, it was blocked by a barge. They were dredging the opening. By the time the barge moved there were six boats waiting to go through.

The Titusville anchorage.

A view of the Titusville anchorage and the Titusville Bridge in the background. They are still working the bridge. 

November 29, 2010

Abandoned boat along the ICW.

It never fails to amaze me the number of abandoned boats we see along the waterways.

Cute home built houseboat.

We thought this home built houseboat was cute.

November 28, 2010

St. Augustine!!!!! We made it to Florida. 280+ miles of the "ditch" cut off by one long, long day of sailing. Now we are anchored off the ICW in Daytona Beach. A very long 36 hours but it cut 5 days of travel off our trip south. 

The fort at St. Augustine.

Fort Matanzas in St. Augustine; it is right at the end of the channel as you come into the city from the ocean.

Sunrise on ocean.

Sunrise on the ocean. It has been a long 24 hours. Later in the early morning the wind returned and we sailed to St. Augustine inlet.

Sunset on the water.

Sunset on the ocean. The wind died down; so we ended up motoring most of the evening and night.

The Captain hard at work steering the ship.

The Captain hard at work steering the ship. We both napped throughout the day, but I was seasick and unable to rest; so Rich did most of the steering.

Jelly fish floating by the boat.

Rich noticed schools of jellyfish floating past the boat. There were hundreds of thousands of them and  they were everywhere.

The Captain dressed for the weather.

It was really cold off shore. The ride out the Port Royal Inlet was a bit rough but once in the ocean it became smoother and we were at the end of the channel and on our way south by 8:30 a.m.

November 26, 2010

We didn't make it to Hilton Head for the night. As the rain closed in, we decided to anchor in Cowen Creek.

Storms clouds on our starboard side.

Storm clouds on our starboard side.

The rain coming behind the boat.

Look at the water surface and you can see the rain about 1/4 of a mile behind the boat. It chased us down the river. We anchored in the rain and watched a couple of other boats keep going.

The Yacht  Freedom.

The Yacht Freedom; isn't she absolutely beautiful. Look at the wood, the windows both in the wood house and below the deck in the hull.  She's a restored Trumpy, a brand of Yacht.

November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends and family. We are in Beaufort SC with sunny skies.

Snow Goose at anchor in Beaufort.

Isn't she beautiful, you can barely tell she has been repaired from a distance.

Rich unloading our bikes, so we can cycle to the movies.

Rich off loading our bikes so we can cycle four miles to the local cinema. We are going to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1.

Row of graves inside the National Cemetery in Beaufort.

We bicycled past the National Cemetery in Beaufort. Thousands of graves; so sad.

November 24, 2010

Strange sights in the harbor...

Arthur Ravenal Jr. Bridge shining in the sun.

As we entered the Charleston Harbor we looked right and there was this beautiful bridge shining in the sun.

The bridge partially shadowed by a cloud.

A minute later they turned the lights out on the left hand span!

The bridge completely shadowed by a cloud.

In another minute the lights went out on the whole thing...

The bridge partially shadowed.

Then the lights came back on one span at a time.

Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge in full sun again.

Strange how a little cloud can make artwork in the harbor.

November 22, 2010

We're motoring down the Waccamaw River towards Georgetown. We are almost to the Lafayette Bridge. It seems as if Rich has finally gotten the auto pilot adjusted, so it doesn't over compensate for our course changes. We'll be fighting the tide most of the day, except for a short time around Georgetown. It seems that going south doesn't provide as many opportunities for riding the tide as going north.

MV Katie Ann passing in front of us at Lafayette Bridge.

MV Katie Ann passing in front of us at the Lafayette Bridge.

Paper Mill at Georgetown NC

We could smell the paper mill long before we got to Georgetown. What an acrid odor.

November 21, 2010

Sitting at the Wrightsville Bridge waiting for it to open. We missed the last opening by about 10 minutes. This bridge only opens on the hour, so we've been anchored for nearly an hour. 

Anchored in front of Wrightsville Bridge.

Hurry up and wait.

Latecomers waiting as well.

A couple of motor boats that arrived shortly before the bridge was due to open, their timing was better than ours.

Yesterday, just before we arrived at Hammock Bay, we passed some Marines on maneuvers.

Marines cruising the ICW

Our tax dollars at work.

Marine pontoon pushing against the shore.

Marine pontoon right against the shore.

Marines practicing maneuvers.

When these guys were up on plane they could throw quite a wake.

November 20, 2010

We want to make the Moorehead inlet as early as possible, so we got up at 5:00 a.m. and left our anchorage in Adams Creek in what appeared to be a light fog. We could hear an engine in the distance; Rich figured it was barge.

Barge in the fog.

So it was; these are the lights from the barge which was pulled off to the side waiting for the fog to lift. The driver hailed us on the VHF asking us to let him know how the fog was toward the channel. It was intermittent with patches of dense fog interspersed with light fog with visibility up to a half-mile.

Coastal Queen passing us in the fog.

This beautiful boat passed us in the fog. The fog was intermittent until about 8:30.

UPDATE: Change of plans; we went part way out the Moorehead channel and realized the wind was going to be on our nose, so we turned around and we are motoring the ICW much to the Captain's dismay. Something about best laid plans of "mice and men". We should have intermittent phone and internet service. We'll keep you posted.

November 19, 2010

There is an old sailing superstition about not leaving for a sailing trip on a Friday. We left Oriental for Beaufort yesterday on a Friday. We pulled out of the marina about 1:30 with just about enough time to make it out side of Beaufort. We put the sails up in the light wind and Rich fine tuned the mast. Then we turned into Adams Creek. Rich said something about the initial dog-leg in the creek, I verified it on the chart, then went below to check the distance to Beaufort on Sea Clear. I took a quick look at our position on Sea Clear and we were on track. As I worked on the computer I could hear Rich moving around on the deck. A few minutes later "thud" and then a shudder. We were grounded. Maybe it 's not just a superstition!

Rich rowing out to drop the anchor.

Rich rowed out about 150 feet to our star board side

Rich dropped the anchor.

and dropped our secondary anchor.

Rich climbing back on board.

 climbing back on board. 

Anna tailing the anchor rode.

My job was to tail the anchor rode as we kedged off the sand. 

Rich running the windlass to pull in the anchor.

Rich working hard to pull in the anchor.

Snow Goose floating free.

We're free!!!!!

Barge coming in our direction.

Just in the nick of time, this barge was heading in our direction and needed to make a turn into the Neuse River. Boy did we have him confused - he thought we were headed north.

Needless to say, we did not make Beaufort. We settled in the first anchorage we came to on Adam's Creek and had a delightful dinner, if I say so myself. Pasta Primavera.

November 17, 2010

It is indeed a small world. Today I met the great-grandson of General Joe Wheeler also known as "Fightin Joe", a Confederate General. My father was named Joe Wheeler French after "Fightin Joe". 

Gordon LeGrand

This Gordon LeGrand, the great-grandson of "Fightin Joe". His grandmother was Carrie Wheeler.

General Joe Wheeler

This is Joseph Wheeler in his Confederate Uniform. He served in the United States army 1859-1861. Then he resigned from the United States army and enlisted in the Confederate States army, serving 1861-1865. In his later years, he volunteered for the Spanish-American war in 1898 and the Philippine-American war in 1899. He was elected to serve in Congress representing Alabama from 1884 through 1900. He is one the few former Confederate officers buried in Arlington Cemetery. Gordon told me, the General was only 5'4" and 120 lbs. He must have been a tough fighter.

November 15, 2010

First day of deer hunting in Michigan - good luck to the hunters in the family.

I started my part of the mast rebuild - "clean up". Rich is finally done making sawdust so I raked up a bag full.

First bag of sawdust.

It was trash day and I wanted pick up some of the sawdust off the ground before it rains tomorrow. This is the most expensive wood shavings that I've had to pick up!

I rode the bike into town, hoping to find the parts Rich needed at the hardware store. The store did not have the parts, but I did meet a couple from Holland. They were admiring my bike, saying they had just ordered some for themselves.

Sailing Vessel AAIT VEDAN

This is a picture of their boat "Aait Vedan". It is a 44 ft. aluminum cutter, they built themselves. They are headed to the Bahamas also, maybe we'll catch up with them down the way.  

November 13, 2010

The new camera arrived today.

New Casio camera.

Rich bought me this camera to replace my red one that died. It is smaller and lighter than it's predecessor, but we don't know about the quality of pictures yet. Time will tell.

November 11, 2010

We met the neighbors next door; turns out they have pet parrot named Woody.

The parrot Woody.

Woody doesn't talk, but according to Joe and Jean, he screeches a lot. He's a very handsome bird.

Edie's new hair cut.

I took Edie to the Salty Dog yesterday for a new do. Muffin the owner of Salty Dog did a very nice job on Edie's hair even though Rich and I had made a mess of it. She also provided some tips on taking care of Edie's dry skin. Muffin was very friendly and provided excellent service.  

November 9, 2010

I finally got the Alfa to work on our computer; it is a long distance Wi-Fi antennae so I can work on the computer from inside our boat.

Alfa Wi-Fi antennae

I had to download their utility because I couldn't find a way to make it work in Windows. Over the weekend I planned to update the website using the marina's internet in the room provided to marina guests, but it was too cold. Evidently they turn the heat down when they are not working. Rich has moved right along on the repair project. Friday he picked up the wood, Saturday we traveled to New Bern via the courtesy truck and picked up the basic tools he would need at Lowe's. Sunday he disassembled the front roller furler and prepped the mast to come down.

The front roller furler unassembled.

These are all of the pieces of the roller furler unassembled. They sure don't look like much. Note the yogurt cup of parts. We are accumulating baggies and plastic tubs of parts all over the cockpit.

The roller furler pieces that need to be replaced.

These are the pieces that need to be replaced.

Yesterday, the mast came down and the hard work has started. Rich has removed all of the hardware from the mast and is working on the first glue joint.

Snow Goose in the slip without the main mast.

Snow Goose looks kind of naked without her main mast.

November 5, 2010

We're in Oriental, NC at Deaton's Marina. We haven't had internet or phone service since Tuesday morning. Even here at the marina our phones don't work and we have to use their internet service. ATT does not have good coastal coverage unless you are near a larger city. Rich is on his way to Annapolis to pick-up some Sitka spruce to repair the mast. We have decided to stay here for a week or so until the repairs are complete. We'll keep you posted.

November 4, 2010

We left Bear Creek this morning in the fog with about 1/4 mile of visibility. Many thanks for radar. It is amazing what modern technology allows us to do.

November 5, 2010

We're in Oriental, NC at Deaton's Marina. We haven't had internet or phone service since Tuesday morning. Even here at the marina our phones don't work and we have to use their internet service. ATT does not have good coastal coverage unless you are near a larger city. Rich is on his way to Annapolis to pick-up some Sitka spruce to repair the mast. We have decided to stay here for a week or so until the repairs are complete. We'll keep you posted.

November 4, 2010

We left Bear Creek this morning in the fog with about 1/4 mile of visibility. Many thanks for radar. It is amazing what modern technology allows us to do.

The sailboat Adhammer coming out of the fog.

The sailboat Adhammer coming out of the fog behind us. He had traveled along with us from the Alligator River.

November 3, 2010

We anchored again in the Alligator River just off Deep Point and I was sure leery having lost one anchor to this river. We were up early the next morning to leave; Rich counted about 15 boats anchored in this stretch of the river in preparation for traveling the Alligator to Pungo River Canal.

November 2, 2010

When anchoring last night, we got a nasty little scare. While backing up to set the anchor, the engine died and would not restart. It turned over, but would not fire up. It was enough to make me have second thoughts - first the mast, now the engine maybe the gods were conspiring against us. But true to his nature Rich figured it out and the engine is running again. It turns out there was an air bubble in the fuel line; also the engine needed an oil change and transmission fluid change so the time was well used.

Rich in the engine room changing the oil.

MY HERO!!!!! 

November 1, 2010

Well, as best as we can figure we lost 7-8 ft of the mast once Rich cut off the splintered parts. He is working on stabilizing the mast so we can begin traveling again. He needs to rig running back stays to the shortened mast. Also he needs to attach our tri-color light and an i-bolt for running rope through. Somehow he needs to cover the core of the mast so that water does not pour down the inside when it rains. So much to do; but Rich is very resourceful as many of you already know.

















Site Designed by Will Maynard